The other reason – well, because it did actually fail for me – is that even if it doesn’t work out exactly as you’d hoped, the scraps are absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter cut into tablespoons
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- candy thermometer (if you’re fancy; but if you’re like me, no need)
(from The Gourmet Cookbook, 2004)
If you’re wondering why the fudge failed for me, I didn’t have enough brown sugar and forgot to reduce the amount of confectioner’s sugar proportionately. Plus, the confectioner’s sugar was old, which you could taste, as well as see, because the sugar clumped together in little white dots.