Sometimes I seriously struggle with getting dinner on the table for Hubby and the kids. While Sam will eat anything, Hubby will eat anything except vegetables, and Jane will eat only vegetables except legumes.
And me, well, I eat everyone’s scraps (although I’m supposed to dieting).
This super easy Pasta Frijole has been a life-saver. It gets legumes into Hubby and some hidden protein into Jane when I make hers with protein-enriched pasta.
It’s just as quick and yummy as a vegetarian recipe, too!
- 8 oz elbow pasta
- 1/2 can organic black beans, rinsed
- optional: 4-8 oz of pancetta (depends on your aversion/affection for fatty, salty meat) or bacon
- parmigiano reggiano
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- fresh basil
Boil your pasta.
Step 2 (Optional)
While the pasta is boiling, pan fry your pancetta (or substitute bacon) in a little olive oil on medium-high heat.
Drain the pasta (no need to rinse with cool water) and return to pot.
Add the beans and pancetta, drizzle with olive oil and lightly mix all ingredients together.
Season with salt and course ground pepper to taste and garnish with fresh basil and grated parmigiano reggiano.
For the kids – especially the picky ones, like Jane:
- Separate all the ingredients out into a fun shape or face
- Substitute the elbow pasta with their favorite style.
- Substitute bacon for pancetta or leave it out altogether