On the days when the screeching and screaming won’t stop, the t.v. no longer holds their interest, Hubby’s not home to help me round up the rebels, and I just really really really want to get rid of them, I throw Jane and Sam in the bathtub with some shaving foam and a few drops of food coloring…
… and instantly, I have almost 30 minutes of uninterrupted silence. (Shrieks of delight and irrepressible giggles count as silence to me).
- Shaving foam
- Food coloring
- optional: Paintbrushes
Squirt some shaving foam into little piles. (Try to get something unscented and as kid skin-friendly as possible).
Add a few drops of food coloring.
Throw the buggers in with their paintbrushes.
Lie down on the couch for half an hour until it’s time to hose them down with the shower head. Then fill the bath up with clean, clear water, and you’re good for at least another 20 minutes while they wipe the shaving foam off the walls with washcloths or use their brushes for some Water Painting.
1) Shaving foam in the bath is super slippery! Have your kiddos sit down to prevent painful accidents. Or just supervise well.
For other fun painting experiments, check out these posts:
- Colorful Ice Cube Painting (painting with frozen paint cubes)
- Painting With Brushes, Balls And Bodies (making “big art”)
- Pipet Painting (painting with a dropper)
- Water Painting (painting with water instead of paint)
- Summer Spray Painting (spray bottle painting)
- Fun With Food! Fun With Toast (painting with milk and food coloring)
- Painting With Winter Leaves And Needles (painting with plants)