We’re back with another simple, classic play activity that requires barely any setup time and is just as fun as any newfangled game or activity on the market.: transferring pom poms with kitchen tongs.
All you need are baskets (bowls or trays – even a shoebox – will do) + pom poms + kitchen tongs.
We bought our baskets at Target from the dollar bin section. Try to use the flat ended tongs instead of scalloped edge ones – like you can see we did – for safety reasons.
I threw in some coiled pipe cleaners for some variety since I had both my preschooler and toddler with me.
- Set out two baskets.
- Fill one up with pom poms.
- Give your child a pair of tongs.
- Let him use the tongs to transfer the pom poms to the basket.
Your child might prefer to simply transfer the pom poms in and out of the same basket – just follow his lead.
Extend this activity:
- Add coiled pipe cleaners to make the activity more challenging after your child has mastered using the tongs with pom poms
- Give your child tweezers instead of tongs
- Ask your child to sort the pom poms by color
- Practice math skills by asking your child to transfer a specific number of pom poms into the other basket
LEARN! Fine motor skills, concentration, focus, colors, counting